Technical Sales Engineer
Sivers Photonics (a subsidiary of Sivers Semiconductors AB) is the world’s most advanced supplier of customised III-V compound semiconductor laser devices, which are critical to high growth optical communications, sensing and wireless markets. Our photonic laser devices are enabling next generation applications including artificial intelligence, data-centres and quantum technology.
We are a key strategic supplier to many Fortune 100 and Silicon Valley customers and collaborate with leading academic institutions and industry research centres throughout the world.
From our UK based foundry near Glasgow, Scotland, we provide end-to-end design, manufacture and qualification for early phase prototypes and high-volume production, supporting up to 100mm wafer sizes on InP, GaAs, GaSb and GaN substrates.
We currently employ 77 staff across roles in R&D, wafer fabrication and backend assembly & test, as well as in various commercial roles.
We have an exciting opportunity in a newly created role for a Technical Sales Engineer. The Technical Sales Engineers at Sivers Photonics are responsible for engaging with new and existing customers to win high value customisation projects for the design and production of photonic devices.
This is a key role that involves working with a wide range of global customers to uncover and understand their photonic chip design and production requirements.
Collaborating with the Sivers Photonics commercial, technical, operations, and production teams, Technical Sales Engineers create project proposals for internal and external audiences, compile quotations, and specify detailed work packages that deliver high value chip design projects.
- Respond to customer enquiries, and initiate engagements with identified target customer organisations across the world, working closely with the Business Development team
- Investigate the technical and commercial opportunities and customer requirements for customised chip development projects
- Perform structured technical and commercial analysis of customer specifications, working with Operations and Engineering to determine the feasibility of each development project.
- Compile internal proposals for management BID reviews, utilising Word Packages and Salesforce CRM to manage each opportunity through the sales BID process
- Create statements of work detailing the agreed technical and commercial aspects of projects for the customer, operations, and device engineering teams
- Assemble quotations that link technical procedures to payment milestones, working with finance and commercial teams to consider cost and profit implications
- Follow the sales process from enquiry through to purchase order, ensuring compliance with both Sivers Photonics and customer timescales
- Collaborate across the Sivers Photonics business, communicating effectively between customers and colleagues, providing updates and new information each way
- Management of customers through the completion of technical projects to production
- Represent Sivers Photonics at domestic and international conference and trade show events
- Frequent reporting at Director level, ensuring accurate and up-to-date information is available weekly/monthly/quarterly/annually
- Utilise Salesforce CRM to manage and record all processes and interactions
Skills and Experience
- Degree educated in a relevant photonics, science, or engineering discipline
- Knowledge of semiconductor materials and devices, III-V laser chip applications, or wafer fabrication processes would be very attractive
- Ideally 3-5 years commercial experience in a customer facing technical sales role, or similar experience in another transferrable technical discipline
- Demonstrable interest in photonic devices, sectors, applications, and technologies
- Strong communication, written and presentation skills as this role will require frequent face-to-face engagement with customers and internal stakeholders, both remotely and in person
- Ability to create technical presentations for a variety of stakeholders, and hold professional conversations with a variety of customer contacts at all levels
- Ability to build and sustain effective customer and colleague relationships
- Can work to tight deadlines, collaborating and understanding the needs of stakeholders
- Confident and assertive, able to lead meetings and engagements, strong reasoning skills
- Willingness to travel internationally if required for customer meetings and industry events
- PowerPoint, Excel, and Word proficiency. Salesforce CRM experience welcomed
- Result orientated with sense of urgency whilst quality conscious.
- Be willing to uphold company standards, act as a role model and take ownership.
- A highly proactive and organised individual, able to juggle multiple tasks and prioritise from day to day and hour to hour in a fast-paced communications role.
- Someone who loves working with people.
- A team player with energy and drive to accomplish targets and objectives.
- Comfortable in a business with an advanced start-up culture.
Sales and Marketing Director