Quality Director/Manager (DOE)
£TBC pa | Blantyre, Glasgow, G72 0BN | Permanent
Sivers Photonics (a subsidiary of Sivers Semiconductors AB) is the world’s most advanced supplier of customised III-V compound semiconductor laser devices, which are critical to high growth optical communications, sensing and wireless markets. Our photonic laser devices are enabling next generation applications including artificial intelligence, data-centres and quantum technology.
We are a key strategic supplier to many Fortune 100 and Silicon Valley customers and collaborate with leading academic institutions and industry research centres throughout the world.
From our UK based foundry near Glasgow, Scotland, we provide end-to-end design, manufacture and qualification for early phase prototypes and high-volume production, supporting up to 100mm wafer sizes on InP, GaAs, GaSb and GaN substrates.
We currently employ 77 staff across roles in R&D, wafer fabrication and backend assembly & test, as well as in various commercial roles.
As the Quality Director/Manager you will oversee the strategic delivery of quality improvement pivotal in our business operations transformation.
The role will interact extensively across internal functions, external suppliers and the global customer footprint; setting the agenda for excellence in a complex, heavily regulated, safety critical product environment. The role requires an operationally and commercially strong leader who can develop people and processes to ensure Sivers Photonics sets the quality standard in their industry. The ability to anticipate and identify where there are opportunities for significant improvements and then to create the environment for all teams to make the improvements happen is essential. Quality improvement will be delivered through standard work, auditing, corrective and preventative action and through the selection & deployment of appropriate Quality and CI tools. The role will ensure coordination of activities, consistency of process and consistent and effective management of applicable quality standards, sharing methods and best practice. Close working with the Leadership team to embed quality standards and share best practice will be essential.
Key attributes of the successful candidate will include the drive and resilience and experience to act as a change agent at all levels of the business, operating in a matrix environment and be able to collaborate, influence and persuade at all levels. S/he will also have the experience and background to work within the highly regulated.
- Own and define the company’s Quality & CI Strategy, ensuring its alignment to Manufacturing Strategy, Technology Roadmap and Company Strategy, directing its execution through BU Quality & CI Teams
- Ensure that all staff understand and maintain the standards and accreditations to continue to do business.
- Understand the impact of company strategies on future quality standards / requirements and ensure the Quality strategy enables their maintenance /achievement.
- Set quality targets & measure achievement, ultimately be accountable for the achievement of all Quality KPI’s
- Develop and Deploy Cost of Quality Program. Champion use of Six Sigma and other appropriate tools / methodologies to drive quality improvements.
- Ensure that Quality efforts are appropriately focussed to return maximum value (i.e. understanding when good enough is good enough, and where striving for more actually delivers returns)
- Develop team members to ensure the organisation has the Quality and CI capability to Execute its strategies and objectives
- Bachelor’s degree required, in Science or Engineering function is preferred. At least 10 or more years of experience in operations, quality or research and development (preferably semiconductor sector) with 5 or more years at a senior level.
- Experience productively interfacing with marketing, business development, engineering, manufacturing, quality, and regulatory functions.
- Broad extensive knowledge of methods, processes, equipment, and techniques in manufacturing, development and engineering.
- Intermediate to advanced skill level of MS Word, Excel, Access, or equivalent
- In-depth knowledge of Quality standards (ISO 9000, etc)
- Knowledge of high volume, state of the art manufacturing processes, preferably in a FAB facility
- Proven success of delivering measurable benefit through the Quality Function
- Depth of experience and technical knowledge in driving quality improvement; Lena Six Sigma (black belt preferred but not essential)
- Expert in Quality and Continuous Improvement tools, able to deploy strategically and selectively and coach others in their use (both internally and external partners)
- Establishing appropriate Quality KPIs to track against improvement targets
- Delivering Quality / CI projects that have made a direct and quantifiable impact on business performance
- Critical thinking, able to positively and constructively, challenge the status quo & conventional wisdom
- Excellent influencing and communication skills, able to hold own in a challenging environment and win hearts and minds
- Strong resilience, able to accept and absorb challenges and setbacks and persevere to ensure the right decisions are made
- Developing technical & leadership capabilities in team members
- Organised, open, pragmatic, team player. Willing to support and challenge the status quo (and to be supported and challenged) to grow support company growth
- Effective leadership skills and ability to influence department and peers, as well as be a team player
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills (internal & external customers)
- Leading and developing a high performing Quality team across multiple business areas
- Result orientated with sense of urgency whilst quality conscious
- Be willing to uphold company standards, act as a role model and take ownership.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.